Sunday, December 30, 2012

Simon and Schuster: Alice in Wonderland and Lord of the Flies

Simon and Schuster is a publishing corporate for books in New York city. For this project, I had to redesign some book covers that were published by them. There were a total of 4 book covers that needs to be redesigned, but these are the best 2 of all 4.

Lord of the Flies - William Golding (Constructed)
For the Lord of the Flies book cover design, I decided to do the constructed technique. The book is about children living in the wild and civilization. The writing of the title is a construction of leaves, soil, rocks, and everything I could find that is related to nature. I even gave some dirty soil smudges on the background to give a dirty look. I tried to keep the color palette to green and brown because those colors are related with nature. My goal is to have a wild and dirty look book cover.


Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (Illuminated)
For this illumination piece, I decided to have mushrooms for my main focus. When I was doing my research on Alice in Wonderland, most of the pictures have mushrooms in the background. I also thought that mushrooms can be fun as they can have different colours and patterns. My goal is have a fantasy-looking, sweet, and complicated cover. The colors that I chose are pastels because those colors give a sense of sweetness and girliness to the piece. I added the brown frame so that the piece is not too wild or messy. It limits the audience’s point of view and help them focus on the title.


My Typography 2 class was definitely painful, but it was my most favorite class of my Fall 2012 term. I really appreciate Dale Gronso for all the strict grading and for treating all the students like professional Graphic Designers. After taking his class, I feel so productive because all of the workload every week is around 12-20 hours, but I learned so much from this class. Definitely was the most challenging because we were not allowed to use computer to create our visual on this class, there was a lot of sketching and roughs. No regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment